Wimmer Student Care Fund
The Wimmer Student Care Fund was established by the Olathe Public Schools Foundation as a tribute to Dr. Ron Wimmer’s years of service as superintendent of Olathe Schools and his passion for students.
Funds are disbursed to students and their families in times of special need to minimize the impact on the students and keep them in school. Great importance has been placed on flexibility with the current superintendent having control of the fund. When he approves a disbursement, checks are sent within 48 hours so immediate action can be taken to assist the student in need and get them back in school, ready to learn.
"It brings us great joy to know that there are programs like the Wimmer Student Care Fund, that help meet the immediate needs of students,” said Dr. Marlin Berry. “It truly is an example of the community coming together to help our students in and out of the classroom.”
The fund helps students in many ways. Here are just a few examples:
- A student needing instructional aid and a safe place to go after school received tuition assistance for an after-school program.
- The family of an Olathe student received financial assistance to have electrical services restored to their home.
- A student suffering from a cardiovascular ailment received assistance with past-due medical bills.
- Bus fare assistance was provided for a student in need of reliable transportation because mother couldn’t afford a car and had medical problems that prevented her from driving.
- Numerous high school and junior high students received financial support to attend school district summer athletic camps.
To contribute to the Wimmer Student Care fund, click here.
By making a $10 minimum donation, receive a set of student note cards featuring the art work of six Olathe student artists.